According to the Federal Jeanne Clery行为, the Office of 公共安全 is required to annually report “statistics concerning the occurrence of certain criminal offenses that occur in the following areas on or near campus.
- 在校园 – owned/controlled by the university within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area and used in direct support of or related to educational purposes,
- 学生住房 – residence halls, village housing properties, fraternity and sorority houses.
- Non-campus – off-campus buildings and property owned and controlled by the university even if in another city, as well as property “owned or controlled by a student organization that is 官方ly recognized by the institution.
- 公共财产 – streets and sidewalks within campus or immediately adjacent to accessible from the campus.
These statistics are gathered from various sources 包括 the Office of 公共安全, local law enforcement and any 官方 of the university who has a significant responsibility for students and campus activities”. These university personnel are designated as a “校园安全权威”. While the University prefers that all members of the campus community promptly report all crimes and other emergencies directly to the Office of 公共安全 at (812) 488-2051 or (812) 488-6911, we also recognize that some may prefer to report to other individuals or University offices.
Who are 校园安全部门 (CSA)?
- All personnel of the Office of 公共安全
- Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus security department (i.e. an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property). Include individuals such as those who escort students around campus after dark, or monitor access into sporting events or large registered parties.
- Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
- An 官方 of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, 包括, 但不限于, 学生住房, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings.
An 官方 is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution. Individuals who generally meet the criteria for being campus security authorities include:
- Assistant Director of Institutional Equity and Title IX Coordinator
- Cultural Engagement/国际 服务
- 体育指导员, 包括所有体育教练, 包括 part-time employees and graduate assistants.
What does a 校园安全权威 do?
The function of a campus security authority is to report to the Office of 公共安全 those allegations of Clery行为 crimes that he or she receives if they believe it was provided in “good faith”. 以“诚信”的意思, there is a reasonable basis for believing the information is not simply rumor or hearsay. CSAs are not responsible for investigating or reporting incidents that they overhear students talking about in a hallway conversation; that a classmate or student mentions during an in-class discussion; that a victim mentions during a speech, 车间, or any other form of group presentation; of that the CSA otherwise leans about in an indirect manner.
What shouldn't a 校园安全权威 do?
A campus security authority is not responsible for determining whether a crime took place. That is the responsibility of law enforcement personnel. A campus security authority should not try to apprehend the alleged perpetrator of the crime. That too is the responsibility of law enforcement. CSAs should not attempt to convince a victim to contact law enforcement if the victim chooses not to do so.
What types of crimes must be reported?
- Sex offenses (rape, fondling, incest, and statutory rape)
Hate Crimes (bias crimes) Associated with race, 宗教, 性取向, 性别, 性别认同, 种族, 国家的起源, 和残疾
The number of arrests and the number of individuals referred for disciplinary action for liquor law violations, 违反毒品, and weapons law violations that occur on our Clery行为 geography must be counted in our statistics. (Note: The violations of liquor laws must be a criminal offense. It would be someone who has only violated the university alcohol policy).
If your role or function at the university has been designated as a “校园安全权威” (CSA), you will be notified by email and will be required to view an on-line CSA training PowerPoint. Links to the training PowerPoint and CSA Crime Reporting form will be included with the email.